As 2014 draws to a close here at BusinessesForSale.com, we have taken a moment to reflect on another great year of business editorial.
Here are our top picks from 2014:
1. It's a BusinessesforSale.com classic and, after all, buying and selling businesses is why we're all here. '10 steps to buying a business' is one of our most read articles of all time, so this year we gave it a little face-lift. Enjoy!
2. There are a few self-confessed movie-buffs here on the editorial desk at BusinessesForSale.com and we always like to look to Hollywood for inspiration and motivation. This article celebrates a selection of films with a clear message for prospective business buyers.
3. Choosing the right business is never easy - there's a lot to consider, including your personality type. It's no use rushing in and buying a bar if you don't like talking to strangers...and you'll be no good to anyone owning a bookshop when you thrive on adrenalin. This feature looks at introverts and extroverts and the types of businesses that might suit them.
4. Running a successful business requires a lot of skill and intuition. We really enjoyed talking to this London based bar/restaurant owner. Purchasing the Troubadour in the late nineties, Susie Thornhill discovered that creativity, respect for the bar's history, adaptabilty and seriously hard graft have been the secret to her business success....watch and learn...
5. Buying a business is better than starting one. There - we've said it (and we would, wouldn't we?) But don't take our word for it...read on if you are in two minds.
6. This year's Oscars boasted a bumper crop of hard-hitting movies. Leonardo DiCaprio's portrayal of the high flying, low living entrpreneur Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street was an instant hit. But we were troubled...why were we watching yet another portrayal of male dominance in the world of business....
7. We love meeting new business owners, especially when they are as passionate as Richard Klein who set up protein based healthfood restaurant 'Gym's Kitchen' in 2012 with his partner Steven Mavrou. Chanelling their dedication to fitness and good diet into a business venture, they created a unique restaurant which offers carefully sourced, calorie counted, carb free food, along with individually tailored diet plans. Inspired by L.A. living, but situated in the heart of Essex...these guys have deserved hopes for serious growth in 2015.
8. We all know the best gifts come in small packages, and here at BusinessesForSale.com we think the same applies to business. Running your own business is exacting, exciting and immensly satisying if you get it right. This article looks at the challenges faced by small business owners in the face of large corporations, and how to overcome them.
9. Only one thing is certain in life - and that is death. Any business based on a 'sure-thing' will likely do well. We love an unusual business angle so when Billy Connolly went on a quest in the US earlier this year to meet people making money out of the 'death industry', we were inspired to investigate further. Have a look at our Halloween special...
10. If you are thinking of selling your business, you've come to the right place. It's never an easy decision or process. Our advice and features section is jam-packed with resources to help you with all aspects of a sale. But first, let's decide if you really want to sell...
Did you have any favourites? Let us know.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for a *free* BusinessesForSale.com account to receive the latest small business advice, features, videos and listings directly to your inbox!